As seasons change, so does my skin. Winter takes my usually plumped, up hydrated skin and transforms it into a dry, flaky state – thanks humidity, or rather lack thereof, for this annual shift. Summer months have the opposite effect; the high levels of humidity mean I sweat more, increasing the likelihood of breakouts, clogged pores and you guessed it – congested skin. It probably also doesn’t help that I live in a city where I’m regularly exposed to pollution and other environmental stressors that make it a challenge for my skin to remain clear.
I’m not alone when I say congested skin is my number one skin concern in summer. How could it not be? Heat, sweat, increased oil production, pollutants – create the perfect breeding ground for bacteria to thrive and wreak havoc.
To combat the signs of congestion, the only two products I turn to are Masque Vivant and Masque VIP 02. On their own, they deliver reliable results, but when combined? Life-changing.
What Is Masque Vivant and VIP 02?
Born in France, Biologique Recherche (BR), aka the masters of skincare, have created products that target every skin concern imaginable. A blend of highly concentrated, active ingredients works hard to repair and improve the overall skin complexion. And let’s not forget, quality is paramount; ingredients work seamlessly with one another to deliver outstanding results – case in point, their cult classic P50 toner (read more on my love for it, here).
Touted as the mask that will leave you with “immortal-looking skin,” Masque Vivant is a staple in my routine. Its unique formulation rebalances and purifies the skin – think of it like a reset button that acts to restore clarity and brightness. With proper use, breakouts diminish, sebum production is regulated, and skin mattified.
If Vivant targets sebum production and pesky breakouts, VIP O2 brings the skin back to life.
VIP O2 is an “antipollution treatment” that targets tired, dull, stressed-out skin. The masque neutralizes pollutants- which almost acts like a shield- blocking them from penetrating your skin cells. Other active ingredients moisturize the skin, helping to restore skin vitality. Skin is left nourished, detoxified, and defended against atmospheric pollution.
What Are the Ingredients that Help Clear Congested Skin?
- Live yeast extracts are jam-packed with amino acids, which help purify the skin and protect it from free-radical damage (it’s also the main reason for Vivant’s famous potent smell)
- Cucumber extract refreshes the complexion and can prevent further environmental damage.
- Witch hazel helps to tone the skin and reduce inflammation.
PRÉIM Tip: Vivant does a phenomenal job as a spot treatment for emerging pimples, especially during the days leading up to your period. Redness doesn’t stand a chance, and the overall appearance of any blemishes becomes only a minor issue.
Masque VIP O2
- BR’s proprietary Oxygenating Complex “stimulates epidermal regeneration” to revitalize the look of the skin.
- Marine elastin and collagen locks in moisture to keep skin soft and supple.
- Vitamin C boosts overall skin brightness.
PRÉIM Tip: Long nights? Too much time spend on your laptop? Use VIP O2 as a sole under eye treatment whenever your eye area needs an extra bit of love.
How to use:
- Add a dollop of each masque into the palm of your hand. Don’t mix! (yet)
- Apply VIP O2 all around the eye area.
- Apply Vivant to the t-zone (forehead, nose, and chin).
- Now, combine both masques and apply them to the cheek area and neck.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and gently remove with a clean, warm washcloth.
Check out Rescue Spa’s video tutorial for a visual.
Where to Purchase
Since BR is for professional use, you can only purchase the products through skin clinics or verified online retailers. See if any of your local spas offer the line. If not, RescueSpa, Biologique Recherche’s official site, or their U.S. flagship location is always available and carries BR’s extensive range.