Makeup lovers across the globe have been perfecting how to do winged eyeliner for years. And, who can blame them? The look instantly widens and lifts the eye; it pairs perfectly with eyeshadow for a more dramatic feel or can easily sit alone and still look just as stunning. I think it’s safe to assume it will never go out of style.
But while its popularity continues to rise, beginners may find that mastering the feline flick can be somewhat daunting. In all honesty, it doesn’t have to be -understanding the proper steps and which products to turn to have an enormous impact on the outcome (and solve most user problems). I spoke to pro makeup artist Shika Bickerstaff who graciously spilled all of her insider secrets on what steps she uses to nail a perfect wing. Every. Single. Time.
How to Do Winged Eyeliner: The Steps
1. Start at the outer corner of your waterline.
2. Draw a short line following the angular direction of your waterline. Think in an upward and outward motion. From the top of the drawn line, move the liner inward until it touches your upper eyelid.
3. Start at the inner corner of the eye and move the liner across the upper lash line. Remember to hold the eyeliner parallel to your eye – and let your natural eye shape guide your movement. As you near the outer corner, begin to angle the liner in an upwards direction, connecting it to the tip of the waterline stroke.
1. Always remember to use a slow and steady hand when creating a winged eye- this will reduce the chance of error and give greater control.
2. Whatever product you use, ensure the consistency is smooth and fluid-like- this will help glide the product across the skin for a more seamless finish.
3. Fix any mistakes with a trusty concealer. Dab a small amount onto a flat concealer brush or use a pointed q-tip to correct any area of concern.
Shika’s Recommended Products:
This ultra-long-lasting liquid liner comes with a felt-tip applicator, allowing you to easily move the pigment across your face without those annoying tugging or pulling actions. The formula was designed to provide significant color payoff, never fading as the day progresses. But what makes this liner stand out is its sheer versatility, enabling you to create a variety of looks, from dramatic lines to thin edges – little effort required. And if that wasn’t enough, the liner is free from parabens, phthalates, cruelty-free and vegan.
This glide-on pencil features a mega-creamy texture for color that goes on smoothly and stays put. It’s formulated with nourishing jojoba and cottonseed oils for easy blending or smudging – depending on the look you’re after. And with a massive shade range, there’s a color for nearly any occasion.
Inglot’s eyeliner provides intense color with just one stroke. Thanks to the creamy formula and gel-like texture, you’re given flexible movement and precise control throughout the application process. Not to mention, it’s water-proof and tends to sit comfortably on the waterline – making it the perfect option for tightlining.