I’m all for the dewy makeup look year-round. But as temperatures climb and elevated humidity makes its way into our lives – yes, I’m talking about summer- achieving such a look takes a bit more finesse, no? (There’s a fine line between dewy and downright greasy).
To avoid looking like you just stepped out of a hot yoga session, we spoke to pro makeup artist Abbey O’Brien to get the inside scoop on what it takes to nail that summertime glow, including her must-have products.
“Using the right tools and products will ultimately set this look in motion. Always opt for cream-based formulas. Their smooth, creamy texture easily blends into the skin for a radiant finish”.
As for tools, she informs us that less is more – in this case. “A damp beauty sponge and your fingertips are the perfect pair, and all you really need to get started.”
The Dewy Makeup Look in 8 Steps:
1. “Prep the skin with Tatcha’s Dewy Skin Cream. This base product keeps your skin looking dewy and hydrated throughout the day without adding extra oil or shine. Apply with clean hands and watch how easily it melts into your skin.”
2. “Skip foundation and use my first option, Fenty’s Pro Filt’ r Instant Retouch Concealer, to hide unwanted discoloration. I love this product because not only is it buildable, but it won’t leave you with any dry patches, particularly under the eyes.
Option #2: For mature skin, I always gravitate towards Laura Mercier’s Flawless Fusion Concealer. It’s hydrating, lightweight, never settles into fine lines but still yields reliable coverage.
With a damp beauty sponge, correct any areas of concern. Apply lightly. You can always go in with another layer once blended. Unlike a dry sponge, one that is damp adds moisture to the skin and prevents a caked-on appearance. This technique makes the concealer act one with your skin.”
3. “Add depth to the face by applying Fenty’s Match Stix Matte Contour Skinstick. The cream to powder formula is absolutely genius! Its creamy texture glides onto the skin but dries down to a matte and smooth finish.
To get started, warm the product up using the back of your hand. Next, take your beauty sponge and apply it on areas you’d like to chisel, like right under your cheekbones, along your jawline and forehead. This method ensures a flawless blend without any harsh lines.”
4. “To look “sun-kissed,” you have to think about where the sun would naturally hit your face if you spent all day at the beach. I love using Torrid – a liquid blush by Nars – on my clients because its warm coral color adds a subtle glow yet is perfectly suitable for a wide range of skin tones.
Similar to contour, warm up the product and use your damp beauty sponge to dab the product onto the apples of your cheeks (moving upwards toward your temples), bridge of your nose, and if you really want to mimic the effects of the sun, add blush to your chin and forehead. This same technique works for bronzer. But don’t forget to blend!”
5. “Amplify the dewiness by incorporating Morphe x Maddie Ziegler Dew Bomb Face Gloss Stick -this is a must if your skin tends to be on the drier side. With no large glitter particles present, this product is incredible for adding those final touches to your look, minus resembling a disco ball.
Its stick formula makes it so simple to use. I love applying it directly to my face then blending it out with my fingers. Bonus: it doubles up as a lip gloss. I always make sure to carry it in my purse for touch-ups whenever my skin needs an extra dose of moisture.”
6. “Tame your brows with Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel (choose the tinted one if you want to give the appearance of a fuller brow). It’s straightforward: brush your hairs up and outward for a feathered effect. This step is quick, gets the job done, and stays in line with this look’s minimalistic vibes.”
7. “Swipe lip balm over your lips to instantly make them soft and glossy. In this case, I always prefer a balm over gloss, like Avène Cold Cream Lip Balm, because it adds shine and helps repair dry, cracked lips. Plus, the more you apply it, the more nourishing benefits your lips receive.”
8. “Complete the look with a setting spray. A top pick of mine is Tatcha’s Luminous Dewy Skin Mist. I mean, the name says it all – a blend of botanical oils and superfood ingredients boosts luminosity to the skin, while hyaluronic acid locks in moisture. The mist is ultra-fine, which means it will never feel heavy. It’s the ultimate refresher.
But for those who are oilier, I always use Makeup Forever Mist & Fix Hydrating Setting Spray (it’s one of my holy grail items). Since the first ingredient is water and there’s zero alcohol in the ingredients list, the spray won’t break up your makeup, unlike other products I’ve tested. What I love most is that once sprayed on, your face will become matte but never give you that dry, tight sensation. It allows your natural oils to surface and impart a dewy appearance as the day progresses.
For both setting sprays, shake the bottle a few times, hold it a few inches from your face, and lightly mist. Fan your face until dry.”